Slow Flash video... cpu or video card?

ted leslie ted.leslie-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Jan 5 16:58:26 UTC 2011

my guess is it isn't using any of the benefits of your video card
(flash not programmed that way, or interfacing with it right), and
thus it would all be on your cpu. I had this problem with my quad core
2.8 opteron, but resolved when i went to
quad core i7 4.4ghz OC. but full screen for me is 2560x1600, so before
the upgrade it was horribly jerky.
I am not sure if adobe is trying for better use of video card in linux
on their flash versions. This is one of the crappy
issue with close source of flash (community can't pitch in a resolve).
If youtube is culprit, try html5 chrome version for youtube, see if
that works any better.
Since your flash video is being scaled up, if you could use the X
feature to change your screen res to 800x600 or similar just for full
screen flash viewing
it would help out a lot or even totally solve your issue), rather then
having pixel transfer to 1280x1024 or 1600x1200 or whatever res. you
run at.
So you would just put alternate res. in your xorg config and switch
between them with ctrl-(numpad)-+/- (if i remember correctly).

tl