Nokia to use Window mobile 7

William Muriithi william.muriithi-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Feb 21 04:27:39 UTC 2011

Christopher,

On 20 February 2011 15:02, Christopher Browne <cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 11, 2011 at 2:24 PM, William Muriithi
> <william.muriithi-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>> Its a great deal for Microsoft though, but I highly doubt it will turn
>> well for Nokia.
>
> Quite entertaining is
>  "The Elopocalypse: Nokia Chooses Microsoft"
>  http://bethesignal.org/blog/2011/02/11/elopocalypse-nokia-chooses-microsoft/
Correct, its a great read.  Actually, it one of the best analysis
among the number of articles that I have read about this deal.  The
most interesting is that even those articles that thought the deal was
good for Nokia found it hard to come up with a good reason.
Economist.com actually reported that Nokia stocks went up!

I think the only reason they went with Window 7 may be the
advertisement deal.  Apparently, they will be getting a large part of
the advertisement revenue generated from the smart phones, while
google refused to cooperate on that regard. If things do not work
well, I can see another Carly Fiorino here.  He really took a big risk
as I believe more than 70% of the employees are not mentally for the
deal.  That could be a major problem.

> It's worth browsing the list of "former Microsoft Strategic Partners"
> for Windows Mobile:
> <http://www.asymco.com/2011/02/11/in-memoriam-microsofts-previous-strategic-mobile-partners/>
>  It's interesting how often such partners wind up bankrupt...
On Microsoft defense here, I do not think they are going to follow
their past trend.  Remember they are also in trouble, unlike the past
when they were the kings. They are very likely to be supportive on
Nokia as that would give Window 7 a chance.