No pre-compiled kernel images in Debian more recent than 2.6.32?

Daniel Wayne Armstrong daniel-HRJVlgn2G/y5aS82P/H3Zg at public.gmane.org
Thu Feb 17 18:55:03 UTC 2011

On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 11:05 AM, Lennart Sorensen
> On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 07:41:53PM -0500, Daniel Wayne Armstrong wrote:
>> Why are there - as of 2011.02.16 - no pre-compiled kernel images in Debian
>> more recent than 2.6.32? Not even in "experimental"?
>
> I already got 2.6.35, and later 2.6.37-rc from experimental.  Since they
> are not there currently, the kernel team must have removed them for
> some reason.
>
>> I have a netbook that I have freshly installed Debian unstable and there are
>> known issues with xserver-xorg-video-intel and the 2.6.32 kernel. I want to
>> run a more recent kernel and I have compiled from source downloaded from
>> kernel.org in the past and created a *.deb and installed for my local system
>> ... but then I lose all those useful Debian kernel patches.
>>
>> Most recent stable version is 2.6.37. What are some preferred methods used
>> by Debian users to run more recent kernels?
>
> Wait for it to hit unstable (or experimental if you are desperate).
>
> You could make your own using make-kpkg, but that's a lot more work.
>
> Now in this case it turns out it disappeard from experimental because
> it is in the middle of being uploaded to unstable.  You can find it here
> until that happens:
>
> http://snapshot.debian.org/package/linux-2.6/2.6.37-1/

Hi Lennart ... Thanks for the information.

I ended up compiling my own kernel last night using make-kpkg, but I
will load the Debian 2.6.37 package when it hits unstable. I didn't
know about the snapshot site. Cool.

I was just curious about why every release was on the 2.6.32 kernel.
Turns out I just happened to pay a visit to Debian when they were in
the middle of re-arranging the furniture. :-)