No pre-compiled kernel images in Debian more recent than 2.6.32?

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Thu Feb 17 16:05:06 UTC 2011

On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 07:41:53PM -0500, Daniel Wayne Armstrong wrote:
> Why are there - as of 2011.02.16 - no pre-compiled kernel images in Debian
> more recent than 2.6.32? Not even in "experimental"?

I already got 2.6.35, and later 2.6.37-rc from experimental.  Since they
are not there currently, the kernel team must have removed them for
some reason.

> I have a netbook that I have freshly installed Debian unstable and there are
> known issues with xserver-xorg-video-intel and the 2.6.32 kernel. I want to
> run a more recent kernel and I have compiled from source downloaded from
> kernel.org in the past and created a *.deb and installed for my local system
> ... but then I lose all those useful Debian kernel patches.
>
> Most recent stable version is 2.6.37. What are some preferred methods used
> by Debian users to run more recent kernels?

Wait for it to hit unstable (or experimental if you are desperate).

You could make your own using make-kpkg, but that's a lot more work.

Now in this case it turns out it disappeard from experimental because
it is in the middle of being uploaded to unstable.  You can find it here
until that happens:

http://snapshot.debian.org/package/linux-2.6/2.6.37-1/

--
Len Sorensen