Flash Video -- help!

William Park opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org
Sun Feb 13 05:50:25 UTC 2011

On Tue, Feb 08, 2011 at 06:48:09AM -0800, William Park wrote:
> I'm using binary driver from nvidia.com.  I'm told that my GeForce
> 8500GT may be suspect, so I'll upgrade to GeForce GTS450 and see.
> Anything more will require new power supply, motherboard, and ram,
> which I want to reserve for SandyBridge.

- upgraded from GeForce 8500GT to GTS450.  I barely notice the
  improvement.

- tried 4 lines shell script "alternative" to 200-line "cgroup" patch.
  I didn't notice much.

- tried 2.6.38-rc4.  Much better.  It's not as smooth or clean as I
  would like, but good enough for now.  I think 16ms response time of my
  Dell monitor might not be ideal for watching video.

- I was able to download Flash Video using Firefox add-on.  When I
  played it with MPlayer, it was very good.  And, whether I play default
  screen size or full screen, the change in CPU load was not noticeable.
--
William