Flash Video -- help!

Andrej Marjan andrej-igvx78u1SeH3fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org
Tue Feb 8 18:39:41 UTC 2011

On Mon, Feb 7, 2011 at 3:31 PM, William Park <opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> To those who are watching Flash Video without any problem, I'd appreciate some
> insights and pointers!
>
> My problem:
>
>        Flash Video is slightly choppy at full screen.  My monitor is 1600x1200,
> so I guess the  full screen video is 1600x900.

Do you have compositing enabled? I have a slow video card (a 7300, was
the cheapest dual DVI card at the time) and I've had problems in the
past with choppy fullscreen Flash in conjunction with compositing.

The ultimate fix for me, with anything flash-related, is to download
the video file and play it in *any* video player. CPU usage goes from
obscene to negligible, even with compositing, and standalone video
players don't crash like flash does.

I have a different problem with fullscreen flash, though: many
flash-based video players, like Youtube's, don't actually scale the
video to fullscreen anymore. I haven't bothered investigating it;
maybe flash hates twinview... Some players still get it right, though.