DDR3-1333 vs. DDR3-16000

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Mon Feb 7 16:02:04 UTC 2011

On Fri, Feb 04, 2011 at 11:53:19PM -0500, William Park wrote:
> I have basic overclocking question...
>
> Most CPU specs say DDR3-1333 (i7 upto DDR3-1066), and most motherboard
> specs say DDR3-1600 or higher.  What's the point of using DDR3-1600
> memory when the CPU (memory controller inside) can only do DDR3-1333 ?

It is officially specced by intel for one thing, but that doesn't mean
things can't be overclocked.  Often at 1600 you can only run one dimm
per channel rather than two though, so it's a tradeoff.  Also the faster
ram doesn't really seem to gain anything much.

> Common answer seems to be for better overclocking.  But, specs for both
> 2.8GHz and 3.2GHz CPUs say DDR3-1333.  So, I don't get it.

The memory controller can be overclocked just like the core of the CPU.

--
Len Sorensen