Ubuntu first time

Alex Gabriel alexgabriel-Nmj6Sl6vboSovDFt+AQlJdBPR1lH4CV8 at public.gmane.org
Fri Dec 30 20:04:29 UTC 2011

On 30 December 2011 14:42, Jamon Camisso <jamon.camisso-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On 30/12/11 02:22 PM, Alex Gabriel wrote:
>>> Through my experimentation with PCLinuxOS back in 2006/2007, I
>>> discovered KeePassX, a cross platform password manager.  While some of
>>> my at work use Windows, the majority are Linux based.  Having the
>>> ability to access a single encrypted password file [CIFS share mounted
>>> on each system] making management of the systems here much simpler.
>>>
>>> FYI, I just noticed the garbage at the end of my signature.  Sorry for
>>> that, I'll ensure I don't send anything from my BlackBerry until I
>>> figure out how to change the formatting.
>>
>> As another reason why I prefer to use PCLinuxOS, it natively supports
>> Opera, my preferred web browser.  I don't need to download the package
>> using Firefox, and then install it, and remove Firefox.  It's a small
>> issue, of course, but if it means one less thing I have to do in the
>> event I need to setup another system, so much the better.
>
> Mint have an Opera deb:
>
> apt-cache madison opera
>     opera | 11.60.1185-1linuxmint | http://packages.linuxmint.com/
> debian/import amd64 Packages
>
> With Mint you have your choice of the Gnome 3 or the forked version
> called Cinnamon that is designed to be similar to Gnome 2. Then there is
> very nice integration with KDE, XFCE or LXDE amongst other desktop
> environments.

There are deb files on the Opera site as well, but I'd rather not have
to add that step into the configuration necessary to get a new system
up and running.  I prefer to simply install the operating, and then
run one command to install and configure everything I need.

Yes, I'm aware that I could write a shell script to automate
installation and configuration on *buntu, I just see no specific
reason to switch to *buntu.

I suppose I could have made my previous comments on PCLinuxOS a bit
clearer.  I initially found the distro [after playing with Fedora 5,
and Mandrake], and installed it as my preferred distribution.  Around
the same time, my employer [now former employer], decided to move all
desktops [except 3] and all servers to Linux.  I applauded this idea,
of course, until I discovered Kubuntu was the distro of choice.

I've never been a big fan of some choices made by the *buntu
developers, but the decision to select [using KDE] the Netbook
interface [when using a netbook] or Unity [using GNOME] when
installing [and without giving me the option to choose during install]
really annoyed me when I encountered it.

GNOME's Unity can be disabled, and the workspace in KDE can be
changed, but why should I receive what someone else has determined is
the "best configuration" for my system when Linux is being installed?

I realize these minor interface issues can be rectified, but I'd
rather have the choice to install the components I deem necessary to
my use of a system as opposed to someone making choices for me.  If I
want my choices made for me, I'll switch to Apple products [insert
mindless zombie/sheep noises here], and stop using Linux altogether.

PCLinuxOS does, by default, install specific applications, but it is
also very simple to remove them, and their configurations, if they are
inadvertently installed.  Moreover, there's a "MiniMe" variant that
installs a much more slim version of the distro, so there's no bloat,
unless I want it.  I've noted that *buntu over the years has become
more resource intensive, and I've no inclination to buy a new
netbook/laptop/desktop every year or two.

Alex Gabriel
Dimensia Design Studio
alexgabriel-Nmj6Sl6vboSovDFt+AQlJdBPR1lH4CV8 at public.gmane.org