Ubuntu first time

Alex Gabriel alexgabriel-Nmj6Sl6vboSovDFt+AQlJdBPR1lH4CV8 at public.gmane.org
Fri Dec 30 19:18:01 UTC 2011

On 30 December 2011 14:09, Zbigniew Koziol <softquake-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On 12/30/2011 10:26 PM, Alex Gabriel wrote:
>>
>> These are similar complaints I had when testing Ubuntu.  As a result of
>> this, I moved off *buntu completely, selecting PCLinuxOS and haven't looked
>> back.
>
> Does PCLinuxOS has a comparable to ubuntu abilities to install additional
> packages? Is it debian based?

PCLinuxOS is based on Mandriva, which is, itself, based on Red Hat.
If your question about additional packages means the ability to
download source files, RPMs, or binary packages, yes, it has that
ability as well.  It also offers Synaptic [and, thus, apt-get] to
install packages.

Through my experimentation with PCLinuxOS back in 2006/2007, I
discovered KeePassX, a cross platform password manager.  While some of
my at work use Windows, the majority are Linux based.  Having the
ability to access a single encrypted password file [CIFS share mounted
on each system] making management of the systems here much simpler.

FYI, I just noticed the garbage at the end of my signature.  Sorry for
that, I'll ensure I don't send anything from my BlackBerry until I
figure out how to change the formatting.

Alex Gabriel
Dimensia Design Studio
alexgabriel-Nmj6Sl6vboSovDFt+AQlJdBPR1lH4CV8 at public.gmane.org