How do I block Facebook without breaking web surfing?

Andrej Marjan andrej-igvx78u1SeH3fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org
Wed Dec 28 21:27:42 UTC 2011

On Wed, Dec 28, 2011 at 4:03 PM, Jamon Camisso <jamon.camisso-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org>wrote:

> On 12/28/2011 01:50 PM, D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
> > In FireFox, I blocked facebook cookies and yet they reappeared.  I
> > don't know how that happened.  I cleaned them out again and they
> > haven't yet reappeared (I just checked).
>
> To me this is the inverse of how cookies (and browser security) should
> be handled. I browse with Noscript, Cookie Monster, Better Privacy,
> Refcontrol, and Adblock add-ons for Firefox. It means that all
> javascript, cookies, referers, and ads are blacklisted by default, and I
> have the option to add temporary or permanent exceptions.

Cookie Monster is pretty neat - I guess I won't have to keep my private
hacked version of CS Lite anymore. Completely agreed on the rest, and this
is a big part of the reason Firefox is my browser of choice: the privacy
and control extensions available for it are simply not possible in other
browsers.

As for the original question, blocking facebook.com and fbcdn.net (I think)
in adblock will do the trick (in Firefox, at least). Other sites will
continue to work just fine, though facebook.com won't work at all. I made a
separate, hardened profile for Facebook for those very rare occasions when
I have reason to use that site.