How do I block Facebook without breaking web surfing?

Jamon Camisso jamon.camisso-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Wed Dec 28 21:03:11 UTC 2011

On 12/28/2011 01:50 PM, D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
> In FireFox, I blocked facebook cookies and yet they reappeared.  I
> don't know how that happened.  I cleaned them out again and they
> haven't yet reappeared (I just checked).

To me this is the inverse of how cookies (and browser security) should
be handled. I browse with Noscript, Cookie Monster, Better Privacy,
Refcontrol, and Adblock add-ons for Firefox. It means that all
javascript, cookies, referers, and ads are blacklisted by default, and I
have the option to add temporary or permanent exceptions.

This setup means that I was not affected  by the kissmetrics cookie over
the summer, despite the ability of kissmetrics to glean information
based on cookies from other sites:
http://www.wired.com/epicenter/2011/07/undeletable-cookie/

tl;dr - blacklist javascript, cookies and flash by default, selectively
whitelist sites that you want to visit.

Jamon