Any tips of decent web hosting companies based in Canada?

Robert Brockway robert-5LEc/6Zm6xCUd8a0hrldnti2O/JbrIOy at public.gmane.org
Tue Dec 27 16:24:19 UTC 2011

On Tue, 27 Dec 2011, Neil Watson wrote:

> Michael Geist thinks that this is possible.
> http://www.thestar.com/article/1085837--geist-u-s-could-claim-millions-of-canadian-domain-names-in-piracy-battle
>
> "Yet IP addresses are allocated by regional organizations, not national
> ones. The allocation entity located in the U.S. is called ARIN, the
> Americas Registry for Internet Numbers. Its territory includes the U.S.,
> Canada and 20 Caribbean nations. This bill treats all IP addresses in
> this region as domestic for U.S. law purposes."

Thanks, I read the article.  People consistently over-estimate the
authority and power of RIRs.  It may be that Mr Geist is doing the same
thing.

The only enforcement option the RIRs have is through the courts, so it
really comes down to whether a Canadian court would enforce an attempt to
remove a resource from a Canadian organisation.  It seems to me that they
could only do this subject to Canadian laws and treaties.

My point is that if the US government went after Canadian organisations
they would do so directly using whatever options Canadian laws and
treaties gave them.  The RIRs just don't fit in well here as far as I can
see.  If a court order was made then ARIN would presumably update it's
whois database to reflect the change.

So as far as I can tell Canada isn't special here because it draws from
the same RIR as the US.  What matters, imho, are Canadian treaties with
the US and Canadian law.

Cheers,

Rob

--