PC Routers

James Knott james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Thu Dec 22 16:07:56 UTC 2011

Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 21, 2011 at 10:00:26PM -0500, James Knott wrote:
>> Unless your Internet connection is greater than 100 Mb, gigabit
>> won't give you much.
> It will between the local PCs connected through the switch.

I thought my comments were about that board mentioned in a previous
message.  It has two ports, one for the Internet side and the other, the
local network.  If you connect more than one computer to it, you will
need a separate switch.  Since each switch port is completely
independent of the others, it can run at any supported speed.  However,
the internet connection is limited to whatever your ISP provides.  So,
if you have a Gb switch connecting your LAN, any Gb capable devices will
be able to operate among themselves at that rate.  Having a 100 Mb
device (that router board) connected will not affect that traffic.  On
the other hand, any traffic going to/from the Internet will be limited
to whatever your ISP & the net allows.  As I mentioned, switches are
quite different from the old hubs and coax networks, where everything
had to run at the same speed.  With a switch, you should be able to
transparently run any mix of speed and even half/full duplex, with
throughput limited only by the characteristics of the individual devices
connected to the switch.

So, getting back to that board, you can connect it to a Gb switch and
that one switch port will run at 100 Mb, while all the other ports can
run at 1 Gb.  Even then, the actual throughput to the Internet will
depend on the ISP and beyond.