PC Routers

Scott Elcomb psema4-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Dec 8 22:01:57 UTC 2011

On Thu, Dec 8, 2011 at 4:43 PM,  <john.moniz-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org> wrote:
<snip>
> However, I'm wondering if it's time to switch to a commercial router (less
> power usage, smaller footprint). But can they be made as secure as something
> like coyote linux? If anyone is still using a PC for a router, what's your
> reasoning for not changing to commercial hardware?

Just curious, what kind of environment (home, commercial, non-profit,
etc.) are you looking at?  For many cases, I'd agree with Colin - a
commercial router running OpenWRT or similar is a good solution.

At home, I have IPCop running on a PC (in front of a DMZ); it's been
blocking between 500-1500 intrusion attempts per day since the summer
and logs (and blocks) any unusual traffic coming from within my
networks.  Power consumption sucks, but I like the amount of control
it provides.

--
  Scott Elcomb
  @psema4 on Twitter / Identi.ca