PC Routers

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Wed Dec 21 22:40:49 UTC 2011

On Wed, Dec 21, 2011 at 04:16:22PM -0500, CLIFFORD ILKAY wrote:
> I presume you had to flash the firmware with OpenWRT (or was it
> Tomato?). If so, what does that do to the warranty? My friend is
> concerned about voiding the warranty. Is it easy to revert to the
> factory firmware? He also doesn't seem to care about wireless at all
> since he already has an Apple base station.

Well in my case I still run dlink's stock firmware.  I keep meaning to
switch to openwrt, but just haven't got around to it.  It works quite
well with the stock firmware for my needs so far.

> When I searched for Atheros MIPS24k routers, the first hit I got was
> <http://www.roc-noc.com/product.php?productid=175>. That seemed
> pretty interesting.

Those are neat, but you do have to supply your own case and wifi cards
and such.

Too bad it does NOT have gigabit ports.  The DIR-825 has a gigabit switch
after all.  I don't know if the CPU and wan interface is gigabit though.
Probably not.

--
Len Sorensen