PC Routers

CLIFFORD ILKAY clifford_ilkay-biY6FKoJMRdBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Wed Dec 21 21:16:22 UTC 2011

On 12/21/2011 03:57 PM, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 21, 2011 at 03:33:27PM -0500, CLIFFORD ILKAY wrote:
>> Can you give some examples of such routers, please? Do any of them
>> support wireless "N"? I have a friend looking for a router to
>> replace his existing ISP-supplied router that is apparently not
>> flexible enough. I had set up IPCop for him years ago but the PC on
>> which it was running died and he would rather have an "appliance"
>> that doesn't have any moving parts. I figure we can meet his needs
>> and still have something that is based on Linux by using one of
>> these Atheros MIPS24k routers you mentioned.
>
> Well I use a dual band DIR-825 which is a 600MHz MIPS24k with abgn support
> (2.4 and 5ghz bands using all types).
>
> There are some cheaper models that are single band only (so bgn).

I presume you had to flash the firmware with OpenWRT (or was it
Tomato?). If so, what does that do to the warranty? My friend is
concerned about voiding the warranty. Is it easy to revert to the
factory firmware? He also doesn't seem to care about wireless at all
since he already has an Apple base station.

When I searched for Atheros MIPS24k routers, the first hit I got was
<http://www.roc-noc.com/product.php?productid=175>. That seemed pretty
interesting.
--
Regards,