Network Attached Temperature Monitor?

John Sellens jsellens-Iv5KO+h6AVB+Y12zHexnB0EOCMrvLtNR at public.gmane.org
Wed Dec 21 04:35:40 UTC 2011

Might be tough to get one by mail order on short notice.

There are a number of self-contained (i.e. not do it yourself)
devices that plug into the network.

I've used and been happy with the WeatherGoose products from
    http://www.itwatchdogs.com/

Dan Klein wrote and maintains the thermd software, and has a whole
page of device links here:
    http://www.thermd.com/devices.shtml
Dan likes the "1-wire" devices in various forms (I think).

You may already have some devices in your machine room that you
can read the temperature from.  Temperature inside a device won't
tell you room temperature, but you can track relative changes.

If you have relatively recent (last few years) servers, you may be
able to use IPMI to query the motherboard temperature sensors.
On Dell servers running Linux (or windows!) you can install the
Dell OpenManage tools, and "omreport chassis temps" will tell
you the temperature readings from your server.  The lm_sensors
package (http://www.lm-sensors.org/) can get temperatures from
some servers.

Some Cisco routers have temperature sensors that you can query
with SNMP (which I did years ago).  My power bars can tell me
the temperature.  APC UPSs can have environmental monitoring
addons.

Hope that helps - cheers!

John