Video playback problem solved

Walter Dnes waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org
Mon Dec 19 21:06:14 UTC 2011

On Mon, Dec 19, 2011 at 03:11:08AM -0500, William Park wrote
> Couldn't you just re-compiled the decoding program?

  That would help somewhat in the case of mplayer, but...

1) mplayer uses various libraries (dynamically linked).  They have to be
rebuilt too, for mplayer to get more benefit.

2) Speeding up the entire OS leaves additional cpu cycles for the
decoder to use.  E.g. NHL Gamecenter Live uses Flash, which is a
proprietary blob, that I cannot optimize.  Before the rebuild, I could
only run a live hockey game halfscreen without it stuttering and
dropping frames.  After the rebuild, I can run the game fullscreen
without problems.  It's not HD, but it's definitely better than SD.  I
grew up in Winnipeg, so I like to watch Jets games when they're not
blacked out in Toronto.