(info) RAID5 root, 3TB Harddisk

William Park opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org
Sun Dec 18 21:32:39 UTC 2011

Hi All,

Now that I'm between courses, I was able to do few things from my TODO list.

1. Mounting RAID5 as / (root).
------------------------------
    This required "initrd" and separate /boot partition.  I'm using
    256MB USB stick as /boot.  When computer boots, it loads kernel and
    initrd.gz from the USB stick.  Then, it brings up RAID5 as /dev/md0,
    and "switch_root" to that.  So, I only have /dev/md0 as /.

    Before, I used to have separate partitions for / (real disk) and
    /home (RAID5).  Nothing wrong with that, but less partitions means
    less maintenance.

2. 3TB Hardisk = $149.99
    TigerDirect is selling Hitache 3TB USB 2.0 external harddisk for
    $149.99.  I bought one today, and doing "dd" right now.  I don't
    smell any burning plastic... yet.
--
William