Eclipse Adventures on Fedora 16

Ian Petersen ispeters-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sun Dec 11 07:11:55 UTC 2011

On Sat, Dec 10, 2011 at 5:35 PM, CLIFFORD ILKAY
<clifford_ilkay-biY6FKoJMRdBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On 12/10/2011 05:55 PM, Ian Petersen wrote:
>> You're missing the class named org.apache.xmlrpc.XmlRpcException, which
>> suggests to me that you either have an incomplete classpath or you're
>> missing a dependency. I'd start by searching to see what's supposed to
>> provide that class, and then see if you have whatever that is.
>

> The package providing that class is installed, as I indicated in my original
> message.

Well, in your original message you said, "I thought it could be a
missing dependency in Eclipse. That was not the case. The package
containing org.eclipse.mylyn.internal.trac.core.TracClientFactory.createClient(TracClientFactory.java:34),
which is what threw the exception, was installed."

But it's unsurprising that the thing that threw the exception is
installed; it has to be installed for it to run, and it has to run
before it can throw an exception.  The important part of the message
is the class that couldn't be found, which is
org.apache.xmlrpc.XmlRpcException.

According to a random source I found in the first few hits on Google
(http://www.jarfinder.com/index.php/java/info/org.apache.xmlrpc.XmlRpcException),
the class that couldn't be found might come from a .jar file with
xmlrpc in the name.  Looking a little further, it appears that the
central source for Apache's XML RPC implementation is at
http://ws.apache.org/xmlrpc, and the download page is at
http://ws.apache.org/xmlrpc/download.html.  The binary archive
contains, among other things, xmlrpc-common-3.1.3.jar, which includes
a definition of XmlRpcException.

> I'm going to remove everything related to Eclipse and re-install. I
> had installed Mylyn from within the Fedora Eclipse without realizing that I
> could have installed it via yum. I don't really understand this world like I
> understand the Python world. In Python, I only need the distro to supply the
> bare minimum Python. If it supplies pip, virtualenv, and virtualenvwrapper
> packages, that's great, too but it's not essential. I can always install
> them using easy_install. Once I have pip, I can "pip install" whatever I
> want inside virtualenvs created using virtualenvwrapper. I don't know if
> Java has anything similar to that.

It's been a few years since I've worked much in the Java community,
but there was nothing like what you describe for Java in general a few
years ago.  Eclipse is based on a plug-in architecture, though, and it
has its own system for describing, distributing, and updating plug-ins
(which you at least got a taste of if you installed Mylyn through
Eclipse rather than yum).  I don't know whether it's better to let yum
or Eclipse manage your Eclipse plug-ins.

Ian