Is KDE 4 Stable? (was Re:Linus on Gnome 3.2)

Thomas Milne thomas.bruce.milne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sun Dec 4 22:49:17 UTC 2011

On Sun, Dec 4, 2011 at 1:56 PM, CLIFFORD ILKAY
<clifford_ilkay-biY6FKoJMRdBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> [...]
> filtering with Sieve. Other people have reported the same problem but none
> of the guesses have been helpful. The one that seemed credible was that the
> IMAP server, Dovecot in this case, didn't support the IMAP IDLE command.
> That wasn't the case so I'm patrolling important message folders manually.
> Sigh...
>
> * I used to use kdissert, a mind-mapping tool in KDE 3. It has since been
> superseded by Semantik. Semantik seems nice, except when you attempt to
> print the pretty diagram you just created to a PDF. It *only* prints what is
> visible in the window's view port, not the whole document and there seems to
> be no obvious way to do otherwise. That means I wasted a bunch of time doing
> a mind map of a project I'm working on only to discover after I'd done that
> there was no easy way to share what I'd done with other project
> participants, all of whom use OS X. I had to fiddle with the diagram to get
> it to fit within the view port but that's fragile because the next object I
> added, it rearranged the diagram automatically. This pushes me some on-line
> hosted application that I don't really trust, bubble.us, so I'm looking for
> better alternatives. I've seen some Java-based cross-platform app but it has
> the handicap of being Java-based, which I'm reluctant to install because
> every time I install anything Java-based, it seems to be a pig and it always
> seems to disappoint. (Case in point: Eclipse. I have a rant about it that
> I'll have to save for another day.) Yet another, "Sigh..."
>
> One general irritant in KDE 4:
>
> * The mouse is "twitchy". I gave up on using a PS/2 mouse and keyboard long
> ago with Fedora 13 because I'd lose control of the keyboard and mouse after
> some random interval ranging from minutes to hours. I've been using a USB
> keyboard and an optical mouse since then. The problem has been that the
> mouse would often jump to almost any old place on the screen when given just
> the slightest nudge. (I haven't tried another mouse yet.) This made what
> seemed like a useful feature, hotspots on screen corners to do certain
> things like expose the widget dashboard, show all windows on all desktops,
> show just the desktop, and show only windows for the current application, a
> la OS X, utterly useless. On OS X, this works marvellously well. On KDE 4,
> it's unusable because the mouse seemed to find its way to the hotspots when
> I didn't mean to have it there. I'll have to try this with a new mouse to
> see if it makes any difference.
>
> Kudos in KDE 4:
>
> * Speed, speed, speed - The "lightweight" desktop/window managers are
> supposed to be so much faster. It only takes a few seconds more by the time
> my KDE desktop is ready for use compared to the "lightweight" desktops but
> once it's ready for use, there is no appreciable difference in any operation
> that I've noticed, even with eye candy like fancy effects and transparency

Most of what people say about Gnome or KDE being slow is totally
without basis in fact, they're just repeating what they've heard in
the internet echo chamber.

> [...]
> I don't want to have to use the default out of fear of the distro clobbering
> my changes as I upgrade. I upgraded to Fedora 16 from 13 by doing a fresh
> install. Just to be on the safe side, I physically disconnected the drive(s)
> that has /home on it during the installation, which meant a bit more work
> after installation but I could then be certain that an installer bug
> couldn't screw up my /home. After I rebooted after reconnecting the drive(s)
> containing /home and enabling them in fstab, my old configuration was
> completely preserved. All told, the upgrade/fresh install took me about 1.5
> hours from start to finish. It was pretty much painless but I knew about
> things like volume UUIDs, etc. so I had done some prep work in advance that
> made things go smoothly. After I restored /home to the one I had before the
> upgrade, the only thing that had changed in the look and feel of KDE for me
> was the wallpaper. That was a pretty smooth upgrade compared to the upgrade
> from KDE 3 to KDE 4.
>
> By the way, I don't expect "ordinary" users to be able to disconnect the
> drive(s) containing /home, fiddling with volume IDs and correcting fstab
> after installation, etc. so I have no idea what the experience would be like
> for the average Windows or OS X user. Actually, I do know. They'd be
> completely lost. For Windows users, the upgrade path is buying a new
> machine. For OS X users, it's a bit smoother. I'm not sure I care since I
> doubt Linux will ever be viable as a mainstream desktop OS. Even in
> countries where the cost of a Windows license represents a monthly, or in
> some cases, an annual income, people use Windows because it just so happens
> that those countries have a vibrant counterfeiting market so licensing is a
> non-issue for them.
>
> * UI - I think the KDE team have done a great job of creating a modern
> interface that is competitive in terms of look and feel with the other two
> mainstream operating systems. To anyone who is familiar with Windows, it
> doesn't seem like an alien environment. For instance, my 11 year old
> daughter can (and does) sit in front of KDE 4 and with no training
> whatsoever figures out what she needs to do in order to use the applications
> she needs, which are word processor, spreadsheet, and web browser. Things
> work as I would expect them to work.
>
> By the way, I use multiple desktops only because I want to isolate certain
> applications, like GIMP, on their own desktop. GIMP opens a mess of windows
> and bringing one window to the foreground doesn't bring all windows
> associated with GIMP to the foreground as it should to be usable so rather
> than grumble about it, I just open it in its own virtual desktop and switch
> to that desktop by clicking on the pager I have in my panel when I need to
> access GIMP. There might be a keyboard equivalent for switching desktops but
> I haven't found it to be important enough to me to find out.

That's the same with me, I like to keep Gimp on a different desktop.

> What it boils down to is that KDE 4 is really stable and fast and it has
> features I value. I can't say the same about all KDE 4 applications though
> but the only KDE applications upon which I have dependencies are Konsole and
> Kate. I used to develop pyKDE applications but I don't do that any more so I
> no longer have a dependency on KDE as a developer. I use XChat, though I
> would probably be fine with using Konversation. I use Thunderbird and I
> might be able to live with KMail if I had to. I use LibreOffice but I
> haven't tried any of the KOffice stuff. The last time I'd tried, which was a
> couple of years ago, KOffice apps were not even half-baked.
>
> As I think about how I work, I could probably live happily on OS X if it
> were not for the stupid keyboards on Macs and the fact that without a
> coherent way of managing packages, it tends to be more of a pain than it's
> worth to use MacPorts and such to install software I care about. I might
> even be happy enough on Windows 7 for my desktop environment but I haven't
> used Windows 7 very much.

I think this is what I'm not getting: I really don't see that much
difference between the desktops.

KDE has some weird features that Gnome doesn't and vice versa I
suppose, but nothing that's ever been so shocking to me. The only
difference for me, and I suspect for a lot of people whether they are
aware of it or not, is the look and feel. Once someone settles on
something that feels right to them, it's of course only a matter of
time before they mould it to their individual procedures. After that,
other desktops, with their default configurations, are of course going
to feel awkward. That's exactly how I found KDE when I tried it out. I
could not find the things I wanted, I was wasting huge amounts of time
navigating menus trying to find configuration dialogues. But that's
not because KDE is designed badly, it's because I'm not used to it.
The only thing that kept me from using KDE was I could not find any
way to configure it that didn't look gaudy to me. Everything was too
shiny and colourful. If I had tried harder I'm sure it's there
somewhere, but I couldn't find any glaring difference in KDE that made
it worth testing as an alternative to Gnome.

Honestly, I don't even see what's the big difference with the Windows
interface. It has a menu, it has alt-tab, it has favourites, it has a
taskbar. The focus model is annoying if I remember correctly, but
seriously, is it REALLY that different?

This whole Gnome vs. KDE thing has always struck me as totally overblown.

--
Thomas Milne