Linus on Gnome 3.2

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Sat Dec 3 18:52:01 UTC 2011

On Fri, Dec 02, 2011 at 08:35:37PM -0500, Howard Gibson wrote:
>    I use FVWM2 most of the time.  I love multiple windows.  FVWM is the only window manager I know of that allows you to keep a non-focus window on top of the focus window.  I find this handy for copy and paste.  Other than that, I like speed and reliability, which FVWM has.  I have been configuring it to work exactly as I damn well please since 1996.

I am pretty sure kde can do that to.

Of course since I expect clickin on the window to bring it to the top,
I guess my way of working wouldn't work with that.

>    I don't see the point of Gnome_3.0.  It seems to take more mouse clicks to do anything.  It looks cool, but that is way down my list of window manager requirements.  I want to locate files, launch applications, and move from application to application when I have multiple things running.  I did not appreciate it when I had problems with accelerated video, and Gnome_3 refused to work.  3D_Video should not be a requirement of the desktop.

Yeah it might be usuable with a touch screen, but I don't have one of
those (really wouldn't wan one.  My screen gets dirty enough as it is).

>    The KDE with Fedora_15 is vastly improved.  It launches almost immediately now.  It was easier to personalize then I recall previously.  I also played with XFCE a bit.  It works.  It is small and fast.  It is predicable and configurable to someone used to Microsoft Windows.  I am not looking for new paradigms.

I just switched my work machine from kde4 to xfce4 yesterday.  Wow the
machine is fast again.  Who knew kde was wasting that much ram and cpu.

>    There is a Linux advocacy issue here.  People remark to me that they have an old computer that, probably, will not run the latest version of Microsoft Windows.  They are curious about Linux.  The old Gnome was a good solution for these people, and it provided enough eye candy to keep power users happy.  I am not sure what to tell people now.  Definitely, they should install KDE, if or nothing else to get KDM, which can be configured to not display the user list.  XFCE is a good low powered window manager, but I do not know how well the Linux community supports it.  It uses a lot of old, now-obsolete Gnome tools.

Certainly with low resources kde and gnome3 are bad choices.  gnome 2
was OK.  xfce looks very good for it.

--
Len Sorensen