Linus on Gnome 3.2

Jamon Camisso jamon.camisso-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Sat Dec 3 20:18:39 UTC 2011

On 12/03/2011 01:52 PM, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
>>    There is a Linux advocacy issue here.  People remark to me that they have an old computer that, probably, will not run the latest version of Microsoft Windows.  They are curious about Linux.  The old Gnome was a good solution for these people, and it provided enough eye candy to keep power users happy.  I am not sure what to tell people now.  Definitely, they should install KDE, if or nothing else to get KDM, which can be configured to not display the user list.  XFCE is a good low powered window manager, but I do not know how well the Linux community supports it.  It uses a lot of old, now-obsolete Gnome tools.
>
> Certainly with low resources kde and gnome3 are bad choices.  gnome 2
> was OK.  xfce looks very good for it.

Linux Mint with LXDE is worth a try for folks who want an up to date
distro that uses a light weight desktop environment. It uses GTK+ so
running any Gnome or XFCE application isnt' going to incur much more
overhead.

http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=1802

I haven't tried the Fedora version, but it should perform just as well.

http://spins.fedoraproject.org/lxde/

Jamon