Any smartphone-rooting-services and CyanogenMod installers?

Tyler Aviss tjaviss-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Aug 29 15:54:14 UTC 2011

The main reason I would want root is to run one of the extended
iptables-based firewall apps, such as "droidwall"

OpenVPN support also requires root.

AFAIK, there's no way to do so without rooting the phone. Android needs a
build-in sudo or something.
On Aug 29, 2011 8:50 AM, "Sammy Lao" <sammy.lao-OvU2V46eqDdvgyatUqoQW0B+6BGkLq7r at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Walter,
> do you really need it to be rooted? There aren't many compelling reasons
to root an android phone anymore. CyanogenMod is nice, but, there is a
certain amount of techie-ness to update it after you have it installed.

> My general recommendation for android phones is that people should not
root it unless they want to spend time tinkering with it.

> If you do want to tinker, I recommend that you do try rooting it yourself.
It's a good exercise when you need to update Cyanogenmod. The rootkit may
not work with Linux tho. ADB works great, but not sure about HTC Sync.