13th December "Smack Down" Meeting

Neil Watson tlug-neil-8agRmHhQ+n2CxnSzwYWP7Q at public.gmane.org
Thu Aug 25 12:38:17 UTC 2011

I am a long time mouse avoider.  I'm a touch typist.  Removing my hand
from the home row to use the mouse slows me down.  Of course we cannot
avoid a mouse or other such pointing devices, but we can minimize.

The Vimperator Firefox add-on makes Firefox respond to Vim key bindings.
H,J,K and L scroll left, down, up and right.  Ctrl-I opens Vim for
editing text boxes.  T <url> opens the url in a new tab. O <url> opens
the url in the existing tab.  If <url> is not a url the text goes to
Google for a search page. You can mark spots in pages and go to them, as
you would in Vim. There are many more options but those are few that I
use most.

I started using tiling window managers.  Now I'm on dwm but I have tried
others.  These types of window managers automatically fit all windows
flush without over lap and without having to resize them.  No mousing.

Most window managers have their own keyboard short cut mechanism. For
things like opening applications I stopped using them.  Now I use
xbindkeys.  This is portable so no matter what window manager or desktop
interface I use xbindkeys goes with me. All of my most common
applications are just a key stroke away.

--
Neil Watson
Linux/UNIX Consultant