Where to get a smartphone *NOT* under contract?

Charles Philip Chan cpchan-CzeTG9NwML0 at public.gmane.org
Thu Aug 18 19:00:06 UTC 2011

Giles Orr <gilesorr-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> writes:

> Something to consider about Archos: their models are cheaper, but they
> do that by cutting some corners.  Their compromises are often fairly
> reasonable, but it's worth reading the reviews and realizing that a
> number of their models have resistive (rather than capacitive) touch,
> and the screens sometimes look very bad off-angle.

I am very happy with my Archos 101[1] (capacitive touch screen) with the
developer's firmware installed, dual booting Android and Debian[2].

Charles

Footnotes:
[1] http://www.archos.com/products/ta/archos_101it/index.html?lang=en

[2] http://www.debian-archos.com/download-debian-for-archos-gen8

--
"All language designers are arrogant.  Goes with the territory..."
(By Larry Wall)