Where to get a smartphone *NOT* under contract?

Giles Orr gilesorr-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Aug 18 18:40:28 UTC 2011

On 18 August 2011 11:31, Christopher Browne <cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 18, 2011 at 11:07 AM, D. Hugh Redelmeier <hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>> Sure sounds like a tablet will do for you.
>
> Indeed.  One of the more unsung brands that seems rather good is Archos.
>
> They carry models that are about the size of a mobile phone:
> <http://www.archos.com/products/ta/archos_32it/>
> <http://store.archos.com/archos-internet-tablet-p-5003.html>
>
> The latter is carried by Newegg.ca:
> <http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16855501059>

Something to consider about Archos: their models are cheaper, but they
do that by cutting some corners.  Their compromises are often fairly
reasonable, but it's worth reading the reviews and realizing that a
number of their models have resistive (rather than capacitive) touch,
and the screens sometimes look very bad off-angle.

I'm not anti-Archos - I still have my Archos Studio 20
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archos_Jukebox_series ) and it was a
fantastic mp3 player when it came out a decade ago ... just pointing
out the limitations.

--
Giles
http://www.gilesorr.com/