Recommendations for Android wifi tablet?

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Sat Aug 13 15:13:21 UTC 2011

| From: Lennart Sorensen <lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org>

| At this point I really hate android.  They have managed to kill of all
| the projects that were actually making linux phones, and at the same time
| they are not being at all community oriented.

Agreed.

HP's WebOS is built on Linux.  Not sure if it is at all open -- I
expect not.  It's not dead yet.

Intel and Nokia have Meego which might be somewhat open.  As far as
Nokia is concerned, it's a dead man walking.  Intel appears to hope it
is alive.

Nokia was supposed to deliver the N9 with Meego but they announced
a day or two ago that it won't be released in UK or US.
  <http://www.newsden.net/no-nokia-n9-with-meego-for-uk-and-us-9196/>
I've heard some good things about the N9 -- perhaps that is bad for
Nokia so they want to kill it.

Apparently there is a Ubuntu port for the Transformer.  I don't know
if I trust this, but it is interesting.  It can be "native" or on top
of the Android kernel.
  <http://androlinux.com/>
  <http://androlinux.com/android-ubuntu-development/native-ubuntu-on-eeepad-transformer/>
  <http://androlinux.com/android-ubuntu-development/how-to-install-ubuntu-on-android/>
It doesn't smell as if there is a lot of activity.

|  They are probably at this
| point the worst example of how not to do embedded linux development for
| the long term.

There are a lot of competitors for that title.  Many of the embedded
are horrible.  At least Google does code drops of the the GPLed parts.

But their bad behaviour has the greatest impact because of their
marketshare and mindshare.  They've fooled many into thinking it is
open source thereby scorching the earth for real opensource.