Recommendations for Android wifi tablet?

Peter King peter.king.1-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Aug 12 15:18:57 UTC 2011

On Fri, Aug 12, 2011 at 11:03:47AM -0400, Lennart Sorensen wrote:

> At this point I really hate android.  They have managed to kill of all
> the projects that were actually making linux phones, and at the same time
> they are not being at all community oriented.  They are probably at this
> point the worst example of how not to do embedded linux development for
> the long term.

Google has repeatedly ignored or sidestepped requests from the open-source
community to release its codebase (after they failed to muscle certain changes
into the kernel), and they have managed to take over not only the phone market
but also the burgeoning tablet market -- all this with a model that is pretty
well closed (certainly not user-friendly). The prospects for genuine integration
of Linux with telephony, which looked so promising just a few scant years ago,
are effectively dead in the water. As for tablets, well, if I'm going to get what
amounts to a closed system with "apps" available from some "market" I'll just get
it from Apple (which does it better). It isn't only the software; it's how the
software fits into the community -- a point Google deliberately chooses to overlook.

Their motto may be "Do no evil" but they aren't very good at living up to it.

Peter King			 	peter.king-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Department of Philosophy
170 St. George Street #521
The University of Toronto		    (416)-978-4951 ofc
Toronto, ON  M5R 2M8
       CANADA

http://individual.utoronto.ca/pking/

GPG keyID 0x7587EC42 (2B14 A355 46BC 2A16 D0BC  36F5 1FE6 D32A 7587 EC42)
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 7587EC42