Ubuntu 11.04 - Returning to Gnome

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Fri Apr 29 15:41:54 UTC 2011

On Fri, Apr 29, 2011 at 02:42:50AM -0400, Stephen wrote:
> Conical has developed a new GUI called Unity, and it is the default
> beginning with 11.04.
>
> I gave it a try.
>
> A feature I could not live with was the location of an application's
> menu bar. In Unity, it has been taken away from the application window,
> and placed in the workspace's title bar. That is, the top of the screen,
> left justified.
>
> The foreground application determines the menu bar.
>
> So if a window is in the lower right of the screen, it is a long way to
> get to the menu.

On the other hand you just hit the top edge of the screen and you are
there.  It worked great on the Amiga, and the Mac has always done it.
To some extent everyone else has done it in a less efficient way.
Why waste space for a menu bar in every window?  Of course the amiga
had the menu bar hidden and only showed up when you hit the right
mouse button.  The rest of the time it showed system status instead.
I miss that.

Unity sounds far from ready, but the menu location is probably one of
the few good things they are doing so far.

--
Len Sorensen