Ubuntu 11.04 - Returning to Gnome

Stephen stephen-d-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Fri Apr 29 06:42:50 UTC 2011

Conical has developed a new GUI called Unity, and it is the default
beginning with 11.04.

I gave it a try.

A feature I could not live with was the location of an application's
menu bar. In Unity, it has been taken away from the application window,
and placed in the workspace's title bar. That is, the top of the screen,
left justified.

The foreground application determines the menu bar.

So if a window is in the lower right of the screen, it is a long way to
get to the menu.

I could not find a way to change this. I could not find documentation
for Unity, that was more than a beta description of its default behaviour.

There is no configuration tool, other than some beta tools.

Not ready for prime time.

Fortunately, it is easy to switch to Gnome as the default.

Stephen