NewEgg ShellShocker: an external modem that is supported by Linux (connects via USB) $16.99

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Mon Apr 25 15:03:18 UTC 2011

| From: William Park <opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org>

| God, I can't remember last time I used electronic-to-fax.  If I do fax
| something, it's usually actual paper and through fax machine.

We used to do FAX (very reluctantly), receive and send, with HylaFAX on
my always-on "server" box.  When I upgraded it a couple of years ago,
I could not get HylaFAX to understand my modem, so no more FAXes for
me.

FAX capability came to this household long after email -- FAX: mid 1990s
vs dial-up email: 1978 and in-house mail server 1983.  So FAX seemed like
a large step back.

But sometimes one needs to send a FAX.  Just yesterday, Elections
Canada phoned us and said we needed to send a piece of supporting
evidence ASAP for our son to get a letter ballot (yes: on Easter
Sunday).  So we sent a FAX from a WinXP box that came with a WinModem.

We have never used a dedicated FAX machine.

Anyway, I oredered one of these modems and I might just reconfigure
HylaFAX.  It has been whining at me for a couple of years.  Perhaps
I'll even enable dial-in data again!