NewEgg ShellShocker: an external modem that is supported by Linux (connects via USB) $16.99

James Knott james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Mon Apr 25 12:07:23 UTC 2011

Walter Dnes wrote:
>> >  It's been years since I've used a dial up modem.
>>
>    I rarely use it but it's nice to have as a backup.  I have an account
> with 295.ca (guess how much they charge per month) for emergency use.

I no longer have access to a dial up account.  I stopped using a modem
when I replaced the 802.11b WiFi NIC in my ThinkPad with one that could
do 802.11g.  The modem was on the old NIC.  These days, if I'm somewhere
where there's no open WiFi I can use, I can just tether to my Nexus One
phone and get an internet connection that way.