Stress testing your machine -- what program?

Anthony de Boer adb-SACILpcuo74 at public.gmane.org
Tue Apr 19 10:25:27 UTC 2011

William Park wrote:
> ...  I'm suspecting something to do with disk.  I
> have 2 "disks":
>     - /     (/dev/root)	-- regular 500GB disk
>     - /home (/dev/md0)	-- 4 x 1TB software raid5.
> I don't hear disk thrashing.  If I do, I would be less concerned.  It's
> the lack of apparent activity which irritates me.

Just a thing to check, but make sure that RAID array isn't running in
degraded mode.  If one of the disks failed, or it thinks the array is
out of sync with itself, then everything you would have read from the
failed disk has to be reconstructed from the other three, and
performance goes to lunch.  It's been awhile since I used software RAID
on Linux, but /proc/mdstat should be the file that shows you the status.

--
Anthony de Boer