Stress testing your machine -- what program?

William Park opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org
Tue Apr 19 02:45:19 UTC 2011

On Mon, Apr 18, 2011 at 06:10:44PM -0700, Fernando Duran wrote:

> So problem is not RAM, most likely is Disk I/O and perhaps CPU.
>
> Check with 'top' or 'htop' when it's in the bad state to check CPU
> utilization (total and per process). Also with 'ps auxf' see if there
> are any processes in "D" state, most likely waiting for disk.
>
> This little script may help too: http://pastebin.com/SqhT6zFr , I make
> it run in servers every 15 mins or so with cron and output to a log
> file (rotated) as a simple poor man's monitoring, or I use "munin".

Thanks for the script.  I'm suspecting something to do with disk.  I
have 2 "disks":
    - /     (/dev/root)	-- regular 500GB disk
    - /home (/dev/md0)	-- 4 x 1TB software raid5.
I don't hear disk thrashing.  If I do, I would be less concerned.  It's
the lack of apparent activity which irritates me.

Maybe CPU also.  But, the best CPU upgrade will only give me x2
improvement, which is not enough to compensate the slowdown, at all.
--
William