Android Phones - help with usb_modeswitch

Russell reiter rreiter91-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sun Apr 17 17:22:05 UTC 2011

I saw that some people on this list are using Android phones. I have a
Huawei u8100 Android Phone which I'm quite happy with, my cell
provider has good customer service.

While by default the device is found as a cdrom drive, I cannot access
the GSM modem under Debian squeeze - #uname -r 2.6.32-5-686 .

I think part of the problem is that while #lsusb|grep 12d1 shows

Bus 002 Device 002: ID 12d1:1035 Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd.

#udevadm info --attribute-walk --name=/dev/bus/usb/002/002

does not return ATTR{serial} information.

 looking at device '/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1d.7/usb2/2-5':
    KERNEL=="2-5"
    SUBSYSTEM=="usb"
    DRIVER=="usb"
    ATTR{configuration}==""
    ATTR{bNumInterfaces}==" 6"
    ATTR{bConfigurationValue}=="1"
    ATTR{bmAttributes}=="a0"
    ATTR{bMaxPower}=="500mA"
    ATTR{urbnum}=="4770"
    ATTR{idVendor}=="12d1"
    ATTR{idProduct}=="1035"
    ATTR{bcdDevice}=="0100"
    ATTR{bDeviceClass}=="00"
    ATTR{bDeviceSubClass}=="00"
    ATTR{bDeviceProtocol}=="00" in advance
    ATTR{bNumConfigurations}=="1"
    ATTR{bMaxPacketSize0}=="64"
    ATTR{speed}=="480"
    ATTR{busnum}=="2"
    ATTR{devnum}=="2"
    ATTR{version}==" 2.00"
    ATTR{maxchild}=="0"
    ATTR{quirks}=="0x0"
    ATTR{authorized}=="1"
    ATTR{manufacturer}=="Huawei Incorporated"
    ATTR{product}=="Android Mobile Adapter"

I have tried applying the serial attribute returned by the parent but
that has not worked in my udev rules.

Nor can eclipse adb locate the device.

Right now I'm trying to get usb_modeswitch to work, mostly by peek and
poke, but I'm not having much success. Is there anybody on the list
who is using a Huawei device who has the modem working who could
provide me with some clues on configuring this device.

Thanks in advance
Russell