SATA problem

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Apr 4 16:57:31 UTC 2011

On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 1:29 PM, Lennart Sorensen
> On Mon, Mar 21, 2011 at 09:30:36PM -0400, Christopher Browne wrote:
>> Is there some particular cheap-ish controller I ought to go looking for?
>
> For PCI express, JMC controllers are nice since they are AHCI compliant.
>
> For PCI it's a bit trickier.
>
> http://canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=19_252_254&item_id=028984
> looks even better.  Sil3114 controller.  Of course still only original
> SATA speeds.

I wound up picking this up, and, after a certain amount of fighting
with cabling, got it all working.  Hurrah, 3.7TB free :-).

BTW, I turned the two drives into one grand big BTRFS filesystem,
presumably in some equivalent to RAID 0.  I still have two ports left
over, so I could presumably add more disks and turn it into RAID 1 or
such :-).

I'm going to have an internal debate over filesystems, for a while.

At any rate, thanks for the guidance - very helpful!