SATA problem

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Mon Apr 4 17:04:45 UTC 2011

On Mon, Apr 04, 2011 at 12:57:31PM -0400, Christopher Browne wrote:
> I wound up picking this up, and, after a certain amount of fighting
> with cabling, got it all working.  Hurrah, 3.7TB free :-).

I am currently using one of these:
http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=14_207&item_id=032449
along with 4 1.5TB WD black drives.

# parted /dev/sdb print
Model: ATA H/W RAID5 (scsi)
Disk /dev/sdb: 4501GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: gpt

Number  Start   End     Size    File system  Name   Flags
 1      17.4kB  4401GB  4401GB               RAID5
 2      4401GB  4501GB  100GB   ext3         SPARE

Quite useful.

> BTW, I turned the two drives into one grand big BTRFS filesystem,
> presumably in some equivalent to RAID 0.  I still have two ports left
> over, so I could presumably add more disks and turn it into RAID 1 or
> such :-).

No machine I ever build will ever use less than raid1.  Disk failures
happen, disks are cheap, and I value my sanity and time too much to have
to do a reinstall and loose data.  There is no excuse.

--
Len Sorensen