Moving to IPv6

James Knott james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Thu Sep 16 03:02:02 UTC 2010

Anton Verevkin wrote:
> In case of IPv6 both ISPs provide you with subnet prefixes. Which prefix you
> would set up in your LAN? How would you do the routing? No doubt we do not
> want NAT here, or else why switching from IPv4? We would also want to avoid
> tunnels in the final solution, for tunnels are for the transition period,
> right?

You can have subnets from both active at the same time on all computers.
  This is because IPv6 is designed to support multiple addresses on an
interface.  Routers advertise themselves, so either should work, but I
don't know how to make one default and not the other.  One other nice
thing that IPv6 has that's nice, is depreciated addresses.  Suppose you
change providers.  Instead of just cutting off one, connecting to the
other and adjusting the DNS, you could leave up the old for a while, as
a depreciated and just change the DNS to the new.  This way, you don't
interrupt access and for a period of time, have both ISPs available.