Moving to IPv6

Anton Verevkin anton-P5WJPa9AKEc1GQ1Ptb7lUw at public.gmane.org
Thu Sep 16 02:55:14 UTC 2010

"William Muriithi" <william.muriithi-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>>> - Network monitoring tools. Are you using something like Nagios to know
>>> what's going on on your servers? It does not support IPv6.
> This one is interesting.  From how I know Nagios, its just mysql,
> apache and perl.

Sorry for that, I was wrong. Even though Nagios core is not perl, but a
gcc-compiled binary, I totally forgot that main Nagios communication is
done with agents - small modular programs, that can easily be converted
to ipv6

> Some none open source stuff will never work.
> A case of glass being either half full or half empty
> William

I agree that for me it is probably more of a psychological thing. I really
wish to get to IPv6 ASAP, but am probably afraid somewhere deep inside and
thus imagine more and more difficulties.

I would like to seek for advice from IPv6-gurus on the following. Imagine
you
have a network, too small to make BGP-peering with the ISPs, but this
network
still wants to have multihoming with two internet connections. Let's say
with
Bell and Rogers, or with Acanac and Teksavvy :). Imagine all of them already
provide you with both ipv4 and ipv6.

In the IPv4 case they would give you one IP address each that you set on
different NICs of your router and make some logic to NAT outgoing
connections
to one IP or another. Reply packets get back through the same connection
where they originated.

In case of IPv6 both ISPs provide you with subnet prefixes. Which prefix you
would set up in your LAN? How would you do the routing? No doubt we do not
want NAT here, or else why switching from IPv4? We would also want to avoid
tunnels in the final solution, for tunnels are for the transition period,
right?
And for sure we do not want to have a custom solution from the ISPs as it
would
cost ten times as much. Is there maybe a totally different way of fixing
this?

Thanks and Regards,

--
Best regards,