forwarding *some* web traffic to a virtual machine

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Sep 9 16:50:02 UTC 2010

On Thu, Sep 9, 2010 at 12:46 AM, D. Hugh Redelmeier <hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> This, BTW, is a good time to fix the default Postgress setup to
> survive IPv6.  And the documentation.

The default provided at initialize-the-DB-time is fairly reasonable:

# CAUTION: Configuring the system for local "trust" authentication allows
# any local user to connect as any PostgreSQL user, including the database
# superuser. If you do not trust all your local users, use another
# authentication method.

# TYPE  DATABASE    USER        CIDR-ADDRESS          METHOD

local   all         all                               trust
# IPv4 local connections:
host    all         all         127.0.0.1/32          trust
# IPv6 local connections:
host    all         all         ::1/128               trust

When I was talking of "default," I was thinking in the secondary
meaning of "the 'default' config that the devs use to somewhat lock
things down."  *THAT* didn't consider IPv6, but isn't the fault of PG
folk :-).