forwarding *some* web traffic to a virtual machine

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Thu Sep 9 04:46:11 UTC 2010

| From: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>

| My bit of "network debugging" of the week roughly involved this...
| No AAAA records involved, but IPv6 policy...
|
| Someone was installing an internal app on their MacOS system, and were
| having database authentication issues.
|
| What apparently happened was that they were accessing the database on
| "localhost," which I'd expect to be 127.0.0.1.  DB 'firewall rules'
| (for those that care about the details, the Postgres "pg_hba.conf"
| file controls Host Based Authentication policies) have traditionally
| been set up based on IPv4.
|
| There wasn't a rule for the IPv6 "localhost," so behaviour reverted to
| a "deny access" default.  Add an IPv6 rule, and all's happy.

Look in /etc/hosts.

On my Fedora 13 desktop, /etc/hosts contains these lines:
	127.0.0.1       localhost.localdomain   localhost
	::1     redsquare.mimosa.com redsquare localhost6.localdomain6 localhost6

The redsquare parts of this seems pretty dubious since
redsquare.mimosa.com could have had a routable IPv6 address (it does
have a routable IPv4 address).

This, BTW, is a good time to fix the default Postgress setup to
survive IPv6.  And the documentation.