trouble with VESA xserver (was Re: Trouble installing Debian on Atom D410)

Dave Mason dmason-bqArmZWzea/GcjXNFnLQ/w at public.gmane.org
Wed Sep 8 14:25:20 UTC 2010

Progress and frustration...

On 2010-Sep-6, at 20:39 , Dave Mason wrote:

> when I pulled the USB key and reboot the screen goes black, then
> (uniform) midnight blue and then nothing happens except occasional
> HDD light activity (some lasting a second of so) for quite a while
> (very occasional (like 30 second intervals) for a few minutes).

So I've figured out that text mode works fine, and the appropriate
xorg server seems to be vesa, but the video I get from X seems to be
so off the mark that the monitor (a i-inc 1920x1200 ih282) says
there's no signal and goes into sleep mode.

The frustrating (though fortunate) thing is that the Debian install
worked fine in graphical install.  But the USB key install environment
is weird enough that I can't figure out how to duplicate it.  I don't
actually need great results at the moment as I just need it to debug
my mythtv environment, but I will probably have a similar machine in
the living room, so I'd like to figure it out eventually.

gdm seems to run OK except for shutting the screen down (it shows up
on ps).  I did the "Xorg -configure" thing, but no difference.

Help!

../Dave