forwarding *some* web traffic to a virtual machine

Matt Price moptop99-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Sep 6 12:59:06 UTC 2010

On Mon, Sep 6, 2010 at 8:31 AM, James Knott <james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> Matt Price wrote:
>
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> I have a box that is permitted a single IP address; the box runs one host
>> OS and a single guest virtual machine.  Both these systems need to serve web
>> pages, and for now, both run Ubuntu (I can change this before deployment if
>> I have to).  Right now (on my home network, where I'm setting this up
>> temporarily) I am using a network bridge to connect the VM to the outside
>> world.  This is incredibly convenient, but it means that I need two IP
>> addresses. Given that that's not permitted in the final network environment,
>> how do I best send traffic addressed to certain domains to the VM?  It would
>> be great if the solution allowed me to continue to ssh into the VM, too -- I
>> really like being able to do that.
>>
>> Thanks a million, as always,
>> Matt
>>
>>  Have you considered IPv6?  You can use a tunnel broker (I use
> http://gogonet.gogo6.com) to get an IPv6 address, even if one would not
> otherwise be available.  I have a /56 subnet* on my home network and get a
> single IPv6 address on my notebook when I'm away from home.  GogoNET has
> clients for Linux, Windows, Mac etc., which can be configured for either
> subnet or single address mode.
>
> * A /56 subnet is about a trillion times the size on the entire, world
> wide, IPv4 internet.
>
> --

I did wonder about it, though I'm completely ignorant of IPv6 One question:
- is there still a significant fraction of users who can't access IPv6?  I
remember I'he had IPv6 turned off on some machines because of wierd bugs in
low-level services, I think involving interactions with MS DNS or something
(not sure that's right); anyway is that sitll a issue?  I ask only because I
want to be sure everyone can access all the sites.  And also, I guess, how
hard is it to set up ipv6 interfaces -- do they use the same syntax in
/etc/network/interfaces, for instance?  If so then it does seem like a
really good option; the bridged network, once set up, is so transparent to
use, I'm very grateful for that.

matt