forwarding *some* web traffic to a virtual machine

James Knott james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Mon Sep 6 13:36:11 UTC 2010

Matt Price wrote:
> I did wonder about it, though I'm completely ignorant of IPv6 One
> question:
> - is there still a significant fraction of users who can't access
> IPv6?  I remember I'he had IPv6 turned off on some machines because of
> wierd bugs in low-level services, I think involving interactions with
> MS DNS or something (not sure that's right); anyway is that sitll a
> issue?  I ask only because I want to be sure everyone can access all
> the sites.  And also, I guess, how hard is it to set up ipv6
> interfaces -- do they use the same syntax in /etc/network/interfaces,
> for instance?  If so then it does seem like a really good option; the
> bridged network, once set up, is so transparent to use, I'm very
> grateful for that.
It's very easy to configure.  You just install the client, configure for
the montreal server and whether you want a subnet or single address
client, connect and you've got IPv6 networking available.  You can use
an annonymous account for single address mode, but you'll need to set up
an account for a subnet.  With an account, you get static addresses.  On
my home network, I can use IPv6 for Linux, XP and even my Nexus One
smart phone.  There are new "ip" commands that replace ifconfig and work
with both IPv6 and IPv4 addresses.  IIRC, ifconfig has been depreciated
for a few years now.  However, for the most part, IPv6 is plug & play.
The router advertises itself to the local network and all the computers
automagically configure their IP address based on the subnet address and
their MAC address.  No need for manual configuration or DHCP, although
those are also possible.  You'll want to add the IPv6 addresses to your
hosts files, unless you have a DNS available that supports the IPv6 AAAA
records.

That client I use, uses 6in4 tunneling (IP protocol 41) when connected
directly to a real internet address or UDP encapsulation when behind a
NAT firewall.