forwarding *some* web traffic to a virtual machine

Matt Price moptop99-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Sep 6 05:22:59 UTC 2010

Hi folks,

I have a box that is permitted a single IP address; the box runs one host OS
and a single guest virtual machine.  Both these systems need to serve web
pages, and for now, both run Ubuntu (I can change this before deployment if
I have to).  Right now (on my home network, where I'm setting this up
temporarily) I am using a network bridge to connect the VM to the outside
world.  This is incredibly convenient, but it means that I need two IP
addresses. Given that that's not permitted in the final network environment,
how do I best send traffic addressed to certain domains to the VM?  It would
be great if the solution allowed me to continue to ssh into the VM, too -- I
really like being able to do that.

Thanks a million, as always,
Matt