OT: today is the day

Mike Kallies mike.kallies-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Oct 27 13:43:31 UTC 2010

On 10/27/2010 1:05 AM, CLIFFORD ILKAY wrote:
> The right choice was and continues to be a subway. That was the original
> vision and hopefully, that will be implemented. It's amazing that Ford's
> plan of completing the Sheppard subway and replacement of the
> Scarborough LRT with a subway line is seen as "radical". That plan has
> been in existence for more than 20 years but no one has had the
> political will or vision to implement it. It remains to be seen how
> successful Ford will be at it. It's insane that we're still arguing over
> something that should have been completed 20 years ago.

You mean the plan that Harris cancelled while Rob "everyman's" Ford's
father sat on the back bench of the Harris government?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doug_Ford_%28politician%29

Ford's promises are empty.  Except the one where he's cancelling Transit
city, just like his father helped cancel Network 2011.

Miller pushed hard for subways, only to have all but his least ambitious
transit plans crushed.  The cost of subways requires provincial support.
 The province withdrew $4B in funding and Miller said that if we waited
for provincial support on subways, we'll never get anywhere.  Better to
build what we can.

Ford is naively stating that he can take the 4.7B earmarked for transit
city, cancel the plan, and build subway lines instead.  What do you
think Bombardier is going to say when their streetcar order gets cancelled?

It's profoundly stupid to change directions in the middle of a plan.
This sets back Toronto transit another 20 years.

Ford is lying.

-Mike