Public Transit (was: today is the day)

Evan Leibovitch evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org
Wed Oct 27 06:14:56 UTC 2010

On 27 October 2010 00:57, William Park <opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> Perhaps, it's rural vs urban, but it's about money too.  For some
> strange reason, public transit attracts wrong type of people, solution,
> and policy.  Public transit promotes increase in population density,
> when public/national interest points to decrease in density.

Please back this up. All reasonable planning research I have seen indicates
that *higher* density is needed in order to make delivery of services (not
just transit, but also things such as social services and parks). Higher
density, not suburban sprawl, is the sustainable option for the public
interest.

The other public interest is served by reducing turf wars. You would be able
to our your TTC pass between the dozen or so GO train stations within 416.
One thing I'm looking forward to post-election is an end to the squabbling
over the TTC's use of the Presto card.

> 100km is 1 hour drive, which is nothing.  You can drive to London and
> back with the time you typically spend in grid-locked GTA commute.

And if more of those grid-locked Torontonians were underground using
transit, your ride would be a lot nicer.

Then again, driving one's self on the 401 west of Kitchener is a truly
mind-numbing experience. I for a while had a contract that required me to
actually commute from Brampton to London; I hated it.

- Evan