OT today is the day

marthter marthter-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org
Wed Oct 27 02:00:31 UTC 2010

On 10-10-25 11:27 PM, William Park wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 25, 2010 at 03:31:30PM -0400, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
>> On Mon, Oct 25, 2010 at 03:05:26PM -0400, Mike Kallies wrote:
>>> I vehemently oppose Rob Ford because of his preposterous transit plan.
>>> Everything else on this campaign is fluff.
>> Well anyone that thinks street cards should be replaced by busses
>> because leaving room for cars is a good thing is nuts.  Your best bet
>> is to elliminate most cars from downtown.  Other major cities around
>> the world have done it and boy does it make things better.
>>
>> If transit worked well, people would not want to drive into downtown.
>> So the solution is to fix transit, not make it better for cars (because
>> you can never make enough room for cars in downtown toronto to avoid
>> traffic problems, and the streetcars are not the problem).  If you want
>> cars to have an easier time, elliminate pedestrians.  They get in the
>> way of cars all the time.  :)
> I live in Mississauga, and commute 100km per day.  So, I may be biased,
> but I'm utterly opposed to Public Transit.  If city wants to assist
> people with transportation, then city can run "public car rental".
This more than just biased, this is the kind of selfish attitude that,
in my experience, is typical of most conservative politics and its
supporters...

"_I_ don't go to the library so cut library budget."

"_I_ don't have school age kids so cut education funding."

"_I_ don't go to the public swimming pools so there does not need to be
a parks and rec budget."

"_I_ don't go to the museum, art gallery, theatre so there is no need
for cultural and arts funding."

Having these things contributes to the well-being of the society as a
whole, whether you in particular use them or not.  And, I'm sorry but if
people who are "utterly opposed to public transit" got their way, many
of the people pumping your gas and serving your drive-through coffee
couldn't get to their work so that YOU can commute to your work.

I'd much rather live in a civilization than just in an economy.

Martin