Office Software Politics

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Tue Oct 26 14:55:23 UTC 2010

On Mon, Oct 25, 2010 at 08:39:18PM -0400, phiscock-g851W1bGYuGnS0EtXVNi6w at public.gmane.org wrote:
> > Actually
> > I am probably pretty indefferent about the survival of openoffice too
>                        ^^^^^^^^^^^ Spelling Pedant Alert!!

I should remember to use my spell checker.  That should have been
indifferent.

> > for that matter.  I despise office suites, and openoffice is one of the
> > worse ones.
>
> Deferent: a feature of Ptolemaic astronomy.
>
> I use OO Calc, Word and Impress in 'mission-critical' applications and I
> find them really pretty good. Would you like to elaborate on the source of
> your dislike? Perhaps you prefer troff?

Openoffice has a tendancy to try to be helpful and when it gets it wrong
it is hard to convince (at least microsoft got it right that when it does
something to "help" hitting undo just undoes the help, not what you did
originally).  Sometimes backspaces can undo the mess, or other methods.
Still rather annoying.  My wife also says it's colaboration features
are awful.

If I have to make a nice looking document, I will use latex.  At least
then it does what I say and nothing else and it is visible where
everything will happen.  And I can write it in an editor I like using.

--
Len Sorensen